stompbox, debian kernel recompile, hotplug Re: [olug] apologies....

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Thu May 19 16:13:31 UTC 2005

Noel Leistad wrote:

>OK, so I was bitten by the "stompbox" bug.
>http://moro.fbrtech.com/~tora/EVDO/
>
>If I'm anything, distro preference-wise, it's RedHat/Fedora. I've installed
>Debian Woody. Really quite cool. Gotta love apt-get.
>
>Woody is 2.2.20 kernel from 3.0r5, installed kernel-source-2.4.26 which is
>what "stompbox" is running, but doesn't have the usb.o included. Compiled
>woody host system to include hotplug, but not working. Could be I'll figure
>it out, but problem might NOT be "fried brain" from long day "from hell".
>
>Anyway, anybody running Woody w/ 2.4.26 kernel?? Anybody else intrigued by
>project. Ran test on the 1xRTT Verizon data service, runs ~5-6x my sorry
>dialup. Shoot if Verizon ever does EV-DO, I'll be SUPER happy...or if
>Cingular...or Sprint/Nextel.... Don't care.
>
>SO, I'm looking for suggestions. Kernel config ended up kinda "large", but
>loads. Before running lsmod, tailed /var/log/messages, plugged in USB CF
>card reader, no joy. I had more from the 2.2.20 kernel, nothing claimed
>device, but at least it saw the hotplug event. At this point, I gave the
>power cord a yank and called it a day.

I've had mixed luck with this in the past as well (usb hotplug), and I'm
not sure what is all going on behind the scenes on my ubuntu hoary
(2.6.10) install that I just plug in my usb drive and viola - it asks if
I want to import my pictures/etc or just gives me a nice device icon on
my desktop. (erie-- almost like windoze!)  I think "pmount" (user-space
mount daemon) may have something to do with it.

At least it's been working for me though, and with that - ignorance is
bliss for the moment. sorry. =(  ...though I do have other issues, like
video playback that would work on my other debian boxes, but not so far
on this ubuntu install... will have to investigate again further.

>Tomorrow:
>lsmod ouught show ohci?? sd?? scsi?? Attempt modprobe/insmod in case it's
>all modular?? I don't really care if I have to re-install, does Debian 3.0r5
>have option for 2.4.nn on initial install??

Yes... albeit an older 2.4 though, type "bf24" at the bootup, which
hopefully has been patched in 3.0r5 from security vulnerabilities.  Try
upgrading your kernel "The Debian Way" and it's pretty quick actually...
even auto adds entries to lilo for you.  I think you can get the kernel
source from a 3rd party as well as the apt system and still make this
work... I've only done it through apt.

http://myrddin.org/howto/debian-kernel-recompile.php
http://www.debianuniverse.com/readonline/chapter/21

>Looking for one of you guys w/
>some Debian experience. Final goal is to connect to pebble linux tree,
>compile pebble kernel w/ usb.o added as module, then attach to CF card, move
>tree and mods to it, then install in Soekris box so I can test 5220 card,
>then activate Verizon data service.

sounds cool... good luck!

>FYI, the apologies.... referred to the hand-holding this may require. Sorry.
>Hope answers are just obvious and a little light will go a long way.

HTH of course... gnu/linux is a big system, lots of projects, theres a
lot to it I just don't even have a clue about to this day! =)

Brian