[olug] Re: OLUG - Omaha Linux User Group: External Hard Drive

Jon Larsen relayer at olug.org
Thu May 19 12:40:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, mdarling wrote:

> Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 14:32:01 -0500
> From: mdarling <mdarling02 at hotmail.com>
> To: contactolug at olug.org
> Subject: OLUG - Omaha Linux User Group: External Hard Drive
>
> This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.olug.org from:
> mdarling <mdarling02 at hotmail.com>
>
> I am haveing trouble get on external hard drive to work with Fedora. Please help me out. It is using the usb port and it does not seem to be recognizing it.

You may want to sign up for the OLUG mailing list at
http://lists.olug.org/mailman/listinfo/olug - your question would be best
asked there.

Here are some questions:

Is the external hard drive paritioned and formatted?

What filessystem is it formated as (FAT32, ext2, etc.)

Did you check the /var/log/messages file to see if the USB bus saw the
device?  It will appear as a scsi hard drive - /dev/sda for the first
drive, /dev/sda1 for the first partition.

Did you try to mount the drive manually as root?

Jon L.