[olug] apologies....

Noel Leistad tux at metc.net
Thu May 19 02:26:37 UTC 2005

OK, so I was bitten by the "stompbox" bug.
http://moro.fbrtech.com/~tora/EVDO/

If I'm anything, distro preference-wise, it's RedHat/Fedora. I've installed
Debian Woody. Really quite cool. Gotta love apt-get.

Woody is 2.2.20 kernel from 3.0r5, installed kernel-source-2.4.26 which is
what "stompbox" is running, but doesn't have the usb.o included. Compiled
woody host system to include hotplug, but not working. Could be I'll figure
it out, but problem might NOT be "fried brain" from long day "from hell".

Anyway, anybody running Woody w/ 2.4.26 kernel?? Anybody else intrigued by
project. Ran test on the 1xRTT Verizon data service, runs ~5-6x my sorry
dialup. Shoot if Verizon ever does EV-DO, I'll be SUPER happy...or if
Cingular...or Sprint/Nextel.... Don't care.

SO, I'm looking for suggestions. Kernel config ended up kinda "large", but
loads. Before running lsmod, tailed /var/log/messages, plugged in USB CF
card reader, no joy. I had more from the 2.2.20 kernel, nothing claimed
device, but at least it saw the hotplug event. At this point, I gave the
power cord a yank and called it a day.

Tomorrow:
lsmod ouught show ohci?? sd?? scsi?? Attempt modprobe/insmod in case it's
all modular?? I don't really care if I have to re-install, does Debian 3.0r5
have option for 2.4.nn on initial install?? Looking for one of you guys w/
some Debian experience. Final goal is to connect to pebble linux tree,
compile pebble kernel w/ usb.o added as module, then attach to CF card, move
tree and mods to it, then install in Soekris box so I can test 5220 card,
then activate Verizon data service.

FYI, the apologies.... referred to the hand-holding this may require. Sorry.
Hope answers are just obvious and a little light will go a long way.

Noel Leistad
noel at noelleistad.com