[olug] mysql question

Charles Bird thebirdman at operamail.com
Wed May 18 03:45:28 UTC 2005

I'm trying to set root passwd in my sql, I have localhost no problem but i am having troubles with:

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'ipaddress' = PASSWORD('supersecretpassword');
ERROR 1133: Can't find any matching row in the user table
mysql>

I never had this problem before, I've done this command atleast 10 times.
This is a fresh emerge on gentoo , the only other commands I have done with this mysql install is:

mysql -u root
mysql> DELETE FROM mysql.user WHERE User = '';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('supersecretpassword');

I just dont understand, any Ideas?     Where in the world is mysql.user?