[olug] great article about open source vs windows

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sat May 7 21:20:24 UTC 2005

Ha!

You must have different users than I do. In some ways the only properly
trained users are system administrators, and sometimes not even then -
I have to work with a marginally computer literate "system
administrator" who installed children's software on the ActiveDirectory
domain controller. He couldn't understand my problem with the situation
(and still can't) [0].

Between

a) Gullible users deleting random system files because some random email
   they got said to - yes, it has happened
b) Gullible users installing random "patches" because some random email
   said to
b) "Power users" who see no problem with rampant software piracy
c) The same "power users" who see no problem with installing P2P
   software
d) The same "power users" who download pirated programs from
   questionable web sites and wonder how their computers end up so badly
   infested with spyware
e) The same "power users" who have deluded themselves that they can
   manage a Windows network just because they have a certification of
   some kind
f) "I've done it at home, I can handle things just fine".  Yeah,
   right.

I used to keep an "open environment". But I got tired of fixing
my users' screw-ups who thought they were properly trained and could
handle the situation.

Did I mention that locked down machines are one of the best ways to
limit the affects of spyware and viruses/trojans?

I think I'll just keep my users locked down. At least that way I can
sleep soundly at night!

[0] There are 4 problem with that particular situation. Some are more
obvious than others. Name them. Pay close attention to my choice of words.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us