[olug] great article about open source vs windows

David Walker olug at grax.com
Sat May 7 16:22:41 UTC 2005

I'm of 2 minds on this issue.  On the one side I feel that the corporate
environments I've worked in have generally benefited from a more relaxed
structure where minimally trained users could do the necessary steps to alter
their environment to fix their own little problems without having to call the
helpdesk for every little thing.  I actually found my users calling me less
after I showed them how to handle some of those little things.

On the other side it can be a nightmare when users choose to install trojans,
viruses, non-malware programs that interfere with the corporate environment,
or unlicensed programs that the company could be on the hook for.

I think the environment should be as open as possible while still addressing
the negatives.  Combine properly trained users and proper security policies
to achieve the goal of a productive environment with low downtime and low
support costs.