[olug] Defragmenting VFAT from linux

djalexander at cox.net djalexander at cox.net
Thu Mar 24 18:36:01 UTC 2005

> Well, if you can't find a defrag utility you can try the
> backup/reformat/reinstall option -- that will definately clean up the
> free/used table.

This is what I ended up doing, as I didn't want to resort to plugging
it into a Windows machine (other than the one time I did this for
testing purposes).

> I guess the big question then is can you re-format/re-install it
> without
> having a Windows machine available to run their software...

The AV480 runs embedded Linux and contains all the code necessary to
format the drive for use in it's firmware.  I have successfully
connected it to Windows, Linux, and OSX without installing any extra
software or drivers.  Heck, I can even partition the internal drive and
put multiple filesystem types on them.  The internal OS won't read
these other filesystems, but the machine the device is attached to can.
  This makes it pretty useful as portable data transfer device.  I have
a 5Gb ext3 partition on there that I use to lug my home directory
around.

-Darren