[olug] IE and mozilla.org

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 19:31:40 UTC 2005

Who cares about the desktop?  The desktop should not
matter, the desktop should not drive back-end
technology.  If that were the case, our business would
shut down.  Some of the commercial software we use is
only available for Mac, or Solaris, or Linux.  Our
desktop is a great majority Mac, not Windows.  So to
say that we need Exchange for the desktop, means we
need to change our desktop?  So we need to convert our
Mac desktops because it "makes sense" due to the
Exchange server coming in?  That is insane!

No, Rod is not comparing mail/groupware to windows
file shares.  What Rod is saying is that his
non-Microsoft mail/groupware system was not affected
by NIMDA, but  the windows file systems were affected.
 And don't confuse a Novell file system with "windows
file shares."  The two concepts are vastly different.

". . . a properly configured Exchange could be more
resource/money intensive than GroupWise, but that is
just part of the product."  Other than to empty out a
bank account or a budget line, what kind of business
decision says "Let's spend like the Dickens!"

". . . It integrates well with other Microsoft
products without having to install third party
software.

". . . Install Office (which you'd do anyway) and you
get Outlook."  Great, yet another environment for
worms and VB script kiddies.

". . . Integrates nicely into Active Directory, which
Windows can also use."  Ouch! Maybe Rod can herald the
virtues of Novell's DOD Red Book C3 rating.  Oh, wait,
that was back in the NetWare 4 days, when NDS (NetWare
Directory Services) was available and mature years
before Active Directory.  And after GroupWise, Lotus
Notes was the first groupware to make use of a
directory . . . NDS.

No matter how you slice a turd, it is still poop, and
no matter how you look at Microsoft, it is still
Microsoft.

-=Sean Edwards=-