[olug] apache not reachable

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Tue Mar 8 07:05:06 UTC 2005

Jake Churchill wrote:
> First, what distro are you using and what version of apache? (Apache 1.3
> has 1 config file and 2.0 has several.  Also, some distros set this up
> by default for you)

YDL 3.0.1, and Apache 2.0.53 compiled from source.

> Second, do you have a router or anything else? (you may have to change
> the router's port forwarding)

Already changed the port forwarding to the new IP, but I can't reach
Apache on that IP even on my local network.  Can't telnet to port 80,
either.  Apache just doesn't respond except from the localhost.

> Third, (and I have to ask) is the process running (ps aux | grep
> apache.  if it's not there, su to root and do ./apachectl start)?

Yes, httpd is running.

> Fourth, do you have Cox?  (they block port 80)

Not relevant, since the problem is manifest within my network.

> Try to ping your machine on port 80 from another machine.  I'm not sure
> how to do this exactly but I know it's possible.

YDL has an Apache installed in /usr/sbin, but I've symlinked those to my
copies at /usr/local/apache2/bin instead and made a few appropriate
changes in the init scripts.  Linux init scripts don't seem to be as
straightforward to me as the BSD ones, so maybe this is where my problem
lies?  Do the symlinks create a problem?

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim & Alethea