[olug] apache not reachable

Jake Churchill jachurchill at cox.net
Tue Mar 8 06:41:21 UTC 2005

First, what distro are you using and what version of apache? (Apache
1.3 has 1 config file and 2.0 has several.  Also, some distros set this
up by default for you)
Second, do you have a router or anything else? (you may have to change
the router's port forwarding)
Third, (and I have to ask) is the process running (ps aux | grep
apache.  if it's not there, su to root and do ./apachectl start)?
Fourth, do you have Cox?  (they block port 80)

Try to ping your machine on port 80 from another machine.  I'm not sure
how to do this exactly but I know it's possible.

If you re-installed your machine, you could have a different IP address
(this has happened to me) and you might just need to re-configure your
port forwarding in the router or the DNS server.

Jake