[olug] Debian Newb Help

Eric P eric.maillist at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 05:32:24 UTC 2005

> Shawn L. Djernes wrote:
>
>> I can answer some of your questions.
>>
>> 1. use apt-cache (or your favorite gui tool) to search for nvidia.
>> Then do
>> apt-get install (or use gui tool) the driver version for your kernel
>> version.
>
> Hmm.. It only shows the nvidia-kernel package for the 2.4.27 series.

Got it figured out with the help of the Debian user mail list.  I'll
post my notes here.

As root run:
apt-get install module-assistant ; m-a a-i nvidia

Config XF86Config the Debian way
Ref: http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/index.html

Tell Debian that XF86Config-4 has never been edited:
d5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 >| /var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum

Run:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
1. Choose "nvidia" for the driver
2. When asked to select X server modules, deselect (uncheck) GLCore and
dri, and select (check) glx.
3. When you're done, ls -l /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to be sure your new
XF86Config-4 file has
been written.

Create a "video" group, and add to it any users who you want to be able
to use the display.ddgroup --system video && adduser $USER video

Ensure that the nvidia module gets inserted into your kernel
automatically at boot
grep -q ^nvidia /etc/modules || echo nvidia >> /etc/modules

>> 3.  Replace .profile with your .bash_profile and it should then be
>> sourced
>> correctly.
>
> $ mv .bash_profile .profile
>
> Nope.  That didn't work.  All I have in there is this:
> PATH=$PATH:/home/eric/bin

I still haven't figured this one out.

Eric P