what i've seen.. Re: [olug] MS Exchange alternatives

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Mon Jun 13 03:39:49 UTC 2005

Eric,

I've never seen anything free (as in free beer) to wipe out exchange on
M$ with a gnu/linux solution... and if that ever happened, I'm sure we'd
all hear about it. =)

http://www.novell.com/products/openexchange/
http://www.bynari.net/ - InsightServer

else best bet is to look for an alternative groupware solution (likely
web-based), so that they can migrate off of the M$ Outlook platform for
everything.  Email would likely go to an LDAP and any client
(Thunderbird?).  Collaboration, room reservation, etc.. is likely
web-based and may be a little slower in reaction speed, but (if a
concern) then you can access anywhere, any platform, etc.  Find out what
specific Exchange functionalities you need (calendar, tasks, messaging,
project mgmt..) and I could prob dig something up.  I've been casually
looking at this for some time, here's what I've found...

note: single sign-on may be a problem =(
note: I've found a few good single-purpose apps (calendars w/vcal, etc)
but no 'exchange replacement'... this is apparently the "Holy Grail" in
GNU/Linux migration to the office space

http://www.horde.org/projects.php- lots of cool products, including
webmail (IMP)
http://www.opengroupware.org/
http://mgw.k-fish.de/Overview.about.0.html "more.groupware"
http://netoffice.sourceforge.net - managing tasks

http://www.dotproject.net, phpproject...

Brian

Eric Lusk wrote:

>I'm about to start consulting with a couple of
>companies who want to install servers.  Initially this
>will just be for file storage, and perhaps http
>servers.  But at least one of them is looking at going
>with Exchange.  I've done external mail, but internal
>is something I haven't played with in Linux.  So, what
>is out there that can be used as an Exchange server on
>Linux, along with the documentation?
>I'm sure a Google search would turn up plenty, but I'm
>also interested in others' experiences, the good, bad,
>and butt-ugly.
>Thanks
>
>http://www.ericshaus.com
>Alcohol and Calculus don't mix.  Never drink and derive.

bwiese[at]cotse.com | brianwiese.net | 402.297.9392
"What we do in life echoes in eternity" - Gladiator