[olug] VNC question

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 19:52:50 UTC 2005

Daniel gets the prize!

On 6/10/05, Daniel Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> You mention there are no firewalls *between* the machines, but how about
> IPTables or the new MS-Windows firewall that came with SP2?

Alas, my employeer has me on Win2000.  Which, in this case, is a good thing.

> You might try running Ethereal on the Windows system to make sure the
> packets are making it to the machine -- just in case "windowname" doesn't
> actually map to that machines IP address or something else is funky.

I didn' t have Ethereal handy, but my Linux box did have nmap.  A scan
from the Linux box to the Windows box showed no VNC ports listening.
Odd.  So I checked the config and noted that "allow only loopback
connections" was checked. I unchecked it and now it works!

Thanks!

--
Mike Hostetler
http://www.binary.net/thehaas