[olug] writing img file

Noel Leistad noel at noelleistad.com
Thu Jun 9 23:06:09 UTC 2005

Ahhh well..... Thanks to all who offered help.

As I brought this issue to the list, it's my responsibility to confess
(in hopes of aiding others).

As I've been compiling and recompiling the kernel for my EVDO-Router
project, I kept hitting a brick wall.
That was the reason for my initial joy RE an .img file of a working
system, thus THIS thread.....
(Never got image to work, back to compile)

Lots of symbol problems on depmod, etc. Thought I was missing some
modules in menuconfig.

Compiling on machine A, for use on machine B, the instructions said:

 >make modules_install INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/tempdir/
 >copy these files to your /mnt/pebble directory tree and install w/
script provided. (condensed, but representative of actual docs)

well, cp -r IS a recursive copy, but cp -R is a recursive copy that WORKS!!
(At least on debian 3.0 woody; noticed on FC3, -r and -R work the SAME,
at least per the man page, versions will GET YOU!!)

Thus, my day's advice: gentlemen, man your (your command here)!!

I always wondered why chmod and chown used -R and cp used -r. duh!!

The hard part wasn't (hard), the easy part  wasn't  (easy).

HTH, somebody else, anyway.

Noel Leistad
noel at noelleistad.com