[olug] Bluejay Usage Questionaire

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Mon Jun 6 00:05:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 01:33:35AM -0500, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> Creighton was a big user of open-source software back in *1998*. Much of
> the behind-the-scenes infrastructure was run on: FreeBSD, Solaris, or
> HP-UX using: Sendmail, ISC DHCP, BIND, Apache, perl, UW-IMAP, qpopper, etc.

Creighton never really had any big FreeBSD usage that I'm aware of, sadly.
Partly because there is no native Oracle, and partly because there are far
fewer and less popular support companies for it.

That said, Creighton still utilizes Sendmail (ugh), ISC DHCP and ISC BIND,
Apache, perl, UW-IMAP, qpopper (ugh). The ISC products are part of the
CU-ONE registration/management system, as is PHP, Apache and Linux.

Perl is still the language of many of the scripts that run things in the
*nix envrionment across the HP-UX and Linux machines. Qpopper and UW-IMAP
run on Bluejay, though Bluejay is no longer the primary end-user MTA. It
does, however, still relay all <@creighton.edu> addressed mail.

There are four Solaris servers at this time. One of them is parts of
www.creighton.edu, and the other is a backup for that. The other two are
Oracle and application related.

In other words, there is still open source technology and software at
Creighton.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org