[olug] Dual Athlon MP info

Cale Lewis olug at olug.org
Tue Jun 7 10:47:11 UTC 2005

In BeOS it's out-of-the-box support for up to 8 CPU's. Works seamlessly, but
most Linux distros I've tried do all or most of the hard part for you anymore
so you really don't ever notice much.

I'm currently piecing together a Proliant quad P-Pro, not because it's new
and fast but because it's a cheap testbed for Haiku's SMP performance. Haiku
is the opensource replacement for BeOS r5. It's coming along quite well. Uses
the NewOS kernel writen by Travis Geiselbrecht, an ex-Be Inc. software
engineer.

Very much like the original BeOS kernel in design and it's multi-threading
and multi-procc. capabilities. With testing we hope to keep as close to the
original as we can in as many ways as possible. Hopefully we'll add the cross
-platform PPC implementation of the original BeOS. When running, it's hard to
tell the two versions apart for most casual users. The NewOS kernel will
already bring with it at least partial abilitiy to also run on Hitachi SH-4,
and with luck Travis' planned support for the UltraSPARC IIe, MIPs 5000,
Alpha, and ARM.

It's nice to be able to zip a multi-mega or gigabyte file while emptying the
trash of a gig or 2 WHILE you're surfing the internet or maybe even burning a
CD! SMP for me! It's the only way to fly!

Cale