[olug] Dual Athlon MP info

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sat Jun 4 01:59:11 UTC 2005

Generally speaking a dual CPU machine may need a terminator if one of
the CPU sockets is emtpy.

Sometimes a dual CPU machine will need the appropriate voltage regulator
for each cpu. I see this more frequently on "Tier 1" systems - Dell, HP,
IBM - than I do Supermicro or Tyan.

Neither of those will apply to your machine. But that's nothing compared
to making a home-built dual CPU machine work in a 1U chassis.

Cooling can be a major issue. Do not put this configuration in a 1U
chassis unless you have taken the appropriate steps to ensure proper
cooling: high speed blowers to blow air across the heat sinks. You also
need to make sure that the air will *get to* the heat sinks - that means
your CPU sockets need to be in the right place, minimal obstruction to
air flow, a place to mount the blowers in your chassis, etc.

Running a RAID 0+1 is a no go unless your chassis has the drive bays for
it. I would stick with 10k RPM drives. Hope you don't need any PCI
slots, the RAID controller will take the only slot you'll be able to use.

I hate to sound negative, but that's what I ran into the last time I
tried to build my own rackmount box. If I ever have to do it again I'll
get something pre-assembled yet high quality - like Supermicro - or
splurge and get a HP, Dell, or IBM server.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us