[olug] Bluejay Usage Questionaire

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Jun 2 19:13:36 UTC 2005

Rob Townley wrote:
> 1. Bluejay is expensive to maintain regarding licensing and hardware.
>

> 2. Bluejay storage overhead continues to consume expensive disk space
>  and administration time.
>
> 3. Maintaining Bluejay consumes administrators' attentions that are
> needed elsewhere.
>
> 4. While Bluejay is online for mail and personal web space DoIT
> support resources are divided between it and emerging systems.

What they fail to mention are...

a) They replaced all their HP-UX dudes with Windows weenies who,
   incidentally, command smaller salaries
b) Exchange may be expensive, but that's nothing compared to the support
   costs for HP-UX and the PA-RISC machines they are getting rid of
c) There are other political and technical factors invovled that I doubt
   anyone on the list is completely knowledgeable about

For instance, I suspect they are going to start using Cisco's NAC
technology to try to keep security problems under control; this is a
school, after all, with 6000+ users (students, faculty, staff) who have
poor computer use habits.

Hmm... I still know a few people at Creighton, I wonder if I can get a
hold of any of that HP-UX gear cheap...

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us