[olug] router, router, router

Christopher R. White cwhite at rcom-ne.com
Tue Jul 26 23:33:22 UTC 2005

Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:

> Christopher R. White wrote:
>
>> Done it to my Linksys WRT54G and flashed with the Sveasoft firmware.
>> Am able to go back and forth between "hacked" and original w/o issue.
>

> Are both stored in the device somehow, or do you have to flash it back
> and forth from your PC?

You use the firmware update utility to flash the new "hacked" firmware
to the device replacing the original firmware.  Should you choose not to
use the "hacked" firmware, you are able to go back to the original by
repeating the same steps.  The Sveasoft firmware is neat in that it
incorporates all the original abilities of the Linksys firmware, but
adds additional features - some include upping the transmition power
from the default level of ~30 milliwatts to as high as 251 milliwatts,
enabling transmit and receive on both antennas, enabling bandwidth
limiting so VoIP devices will always have their own bandwidth, etc.

>> Works great!  Sveasoft firmware gives ability to increase
>> transmission power from radio and enable both radios at the same time
>> (using one original antenna and one modified outdoor antenna to reach
>> my sisters house 2 blocks away)  The performance is roughly 802.11b
>> at these distances, but workable!
>

> You crazy hardware hackers!  :)  That's cool, though.
>
> Tim

What's wrong with hardware hacking? ;-)  My next step is to tear apart
my DirecTV Tivo and increase the drive space to 120 GB while also adding
additional software so I can backup recorded content, or share music
using my Mac and iTunes!