[olug] Source Install Disks

Mario Steele eumario at trilake.net
Mon Jul 25 04:54:06 UTC 2005

A-Wal wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I was wondering if it is worth installing the Fedora Sources?  Up
> until now, I've only done the install without the source disks.
> However, I just got a 64bit AMD system, and will be putting Fedora on
> it this weekend.  This computer will be used for anything I can think
> of.  It's my main rig now.  I was planing to learn some Linux
> programming, so that's why I was thinking about the source install.
>
> Thanks
> Paul

Hey Paul,

The only use the Source CD's will do you, is if you want to hack your
way through the Kernel, or Source Code for programs that come with
Fedora Core.  You don't need the Source CD's, if your planning to do
development with it.  It comes with your basic compilers (If your
learning C/C++), or you can grab just about any language out there, from
Perl, Python, to Ruby.  Though with Fedora Core, Perl and Python are
installed by default, due to some components that come with Fedora Core,
built on these two languages.  And you can get Development Packages for
just about any Library that comes standard with Fedora Core.  If you
have any questions about programming on Linux, and such, feel free to
email me off list, and I'll help you out with what I can.

Mario Steele

--
Mario Steele
http://www.trilake.net/

http://enchantedblade.trilake.net/
The insanity of the world, wrapped in a nice little HTML Document.  Welcome to my world now.