[olug] small pentiums receive a home

Hurley Rod RHurley at TMVGAS.COM
Thu Jul 21 14:27:41 UTC 2005

I checked out the merit badge requirements, since I have a nephew who is
a Scout.  Notice near the bottom of the list, the Micro$oft based
question: "Is it ok to accept free software from a friend.... Why or why
not?"  Well obviously it IS if you are considering the proper OS...

-----Original Message-----
From: olug-bounces at olug.org [mailto:olug-bounces at olug.org] On Behalf Of
Dave Thacker
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:22 AM
To: Omaha Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [olug] small pentiums receive a home

On Thursday 21 July 2005 06:59, Craig Wolf wrote:

> Pass along my email address to the troop or troops that have them if
> you'd like. I've recently offered one of the scout leaders here in
> Glenwood to help provide some more balanced PC OS education than they
> are likely to get otherwise and some of the resources I'm planning on
> offering them might be of interest to them as well.

If you're interested in what a Scout needs to do to earn a Computer
Merit
Badge, check out the requirements at www.meritbadge.com.   Merit badge
instructors for scouting must be registered adult scouters, and have the
troop certify them as a Merit Badge Counselor for the specific badge
they teach.  There have also have been a couple of interesting Linux
Journal articles about Linux and Scouting.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7533
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7813

Another possibility for getting putting older equipment to good us is
starting something like Freegeeks. www.freegeek.org, beginning on a
*much* smaller
scale.   There are still people locally, who have very basic computer
needs,
and are unable to fill them.  IMO, recycling and donating some of that
equipment would be a very positive way for OLUG to contribute to the
community.

And finally, don't we have a someone affilliated with Computers for
Africa on the list?  They might be able to give you a good idea for
getting rid of working equipment.

Dave

Dave