[olug] small pentiums receive a home

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Thu Jul 21 14:21:44 UTC 2005

On Thursday 21 July 2005 06:59, Craig Wolf wrote:

> Pass along my email address to the troop or troops that have them if
> you'd
> like. I've recently offered one of the scout leaders here in Glenwood to
> help
> provide some more balanced PC OS education than they are likely to get
> otherwise and some of the resources I'm planning on offering them might
> be of
> interest to them as well.

If you're interested in what a Scout needs to do to earn a Computer Merit
Badge, check out the requirements at www.meritbadge.com.   Merit badge
instructors for scouting must be registered adult scouters, and have the
troop certify them as a Merit Badge Counselor for the specific badge they
teach.  There have also have been a couple of interesting Linux Journal
articles about Linux and Scouting.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7533
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7813

Another possibility for getting putting older equipment to good us is starting
something like Freegeeks. www.freegeek.org, beginning on a *much* smaller
scale.   There are still people locally, who have very basic computer needs,
and are unable to fill them.  IMO, recycling and donating some of that
equipment would be a very positive way for OLUG to contribute to the
community.

And finally, don't we have a someone affilliated with Computers for Africa on
the list?  They might be able to give you a good idea for getting rid of
working equipment.

Dave

Dave