[olug] Suse 9.3 Pro download

Cale Lewis dlazlo at fbx.com
Wed Jul 13 13:04:18 UTC 2005

With suse 9.0, I used apt4rpm with good results. I notice one of the links
Scott provieded was for it. Just might want to give it a try and see if it
works for you.

To Neil, I've had problems with HP DVD writers not wanting to always work in
both Linux and BeOS. Don't know why they are so finicky, but Plexors and Lite
-ons have never given me the same problems in either OS.

I will have to work at 2 pm and will only be able to make the first hour if
any of the installfest. I'm located in Glenwood, Ia. If anyone is interested
in one of the BeOS variations I have or copies of the K12 Linux CDs, or even
the SuSE 9.3 DVD if I have any blanks left, let me know. I can burn some and
maybe get them to someone that lives or works somewhere around this side of
the area that plans on attending or can pass them on to others.

Sorry I'll miss the event and being able to meet some of you. Hopefully soon
I will.
BTW, I also have to miss the Haiku conference in Los Vegas on the weekend of
August 6th, which is an even bigger disappointment to me. If anyone is likely
to be in the area around that time (hint-Tim) and is curious, contact me and
I'll see about getting you a guided tour of Haiku and a chance at meeting
some of those involved with it. Maybe you could pass on your impressions
(good OR bad, naturally) to other LUG members for their benefit.

Cale Lewis

> [...]
>and
>> > SLES 9. My preference is for RHEL (and FC).
>> >
>> > On RH and FC, when you update the kernel, the previous version and it's
>> > compiled
>> > modules are left in place and booting to them is a simple matter of
>> > selecting
>> > the kernel version you want from the grub menu.
>> >
>> > Under SLES, when you update the kernel, the old one and it's modules
>> > are removed
>> > from the system. If the new kernel doesn't work, oops. You can't simply
>> > reboot
>> > and pick the old kernel from the menu. You've got to get a CD with the
>old
>> > kernel version on it and boot from CD then uninstall the new kernel and
>> > reinstall the old one.
>>
>> true - but are you saying you do not have a testing environment to test
new
>kernels?
>>
>> how many times have you ran into this? ( unable to boot after kern update
>on suse )
>> I have yet to experience this... not saying it could *not* happen; but
>after 7 years of
>> suse on a wide variety of hardware... it has never came up... I attribute
>this to the
>> stellar QA SuSE does on their kernel packages.
>>

>> > Secondly, the default rule set for RHEL/FC IPTables is simple. You can
>look
>> > at
>> > it and make sense of it in fairly short order. Hence, maintaining it is
>> > easy.
>> >
>> > Under SLES, the default rule set for IPTables is approximately a hundred
>> > lines
>> > of overkill and as a result, it's difficult to maintain.
>> >

>> yast firewall - cant get easier than that...
>>

>> > Thirdly, RHEL and FC3 (and up), both use up2date to keep systems
>> > patched and to
>> > install new software and it will resolve dependencies for you
>automatically.
>> > You can configure it to save old packages so you can "roll back" to a
>> > previous
>> > version if needed. Up2date can be used from the command line which is
>nice
>> > on
>> > servers with no XWindows, and you can run it from cron to keep systems
>> > updated
>> > automatically.
>> >
>> > SLES uses online_update from the command line, but you can't install new
>> > packages with it. You can only update currently installed packages. To
>> > install
>> > new software you have to use Yast which is an XWindows or Curses gui
>> > application.
>> >
>> > There are times when it's nice to run up2date <package> to install
>something
>> > that you don't currently have on the system.
>> >
>> > One thing I don't like about RH/FC is the lack of native support for
NTFS