[olug] Help! Need some T1/DS1 info...

Ben Dinger ben at mac-geek.com
Mon Jan 31 21:42:11 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 03:30:08PM -0600, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> Jeff Hinrichs wrote:
> > Long story short, we've got a (phone company name removed) rep promising
> > big voice savings if we commit to a 3 year data contract.  Their pricing
> > for DS-1 Internet(Tier 2) with a full Class C block is 887.50/month.
> > That seems really high to me, especially since our current data
> > provider(Tier 1), has pitched 675/month.
> >
> > What kinds of numbers are any of you paying for similar services?  I am
> > happy to take this off the mailing list if names and numbers make being
> > posted to the newsgroup makes anyone uncomfortable.  They are squeezing
> > and my gut says stay away, this move would be to save money only, we are
> > completely happy about our QOS and support from the current provider,
> > but I'd be happier with feedback from others.
>
> The pricing your current provider gives you is pretty competitive.
>
> If you pay less for your voice services, but you pay more for your data
> services, is it really worth it?  Would the voice savings make up for
> the fact that you'll be paying over $200/mo more for your data T1?
>
> If I were in your position I would ask for *all* the numbers, and do the
> math yourself, just to make sure someone isn't trying to meet their
> quota for this month ;)

I second this.

Also, I'd be *extremely* hesitant to sign a contract currently.  Prices for bandwith continue to drop, and it's a bad time to be locked into something.  That is, unless they are giving you a killer deal on the pots lines, or some other incentive.

--
Ben Dinger
ben at mac-geek.com
"The Pope?  How many divisions has he got?" --Josef Stalin