[olug] Apache/exponent CMS errors

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Sun Jan 30 00:11:42 UTC 2005

I'm playing around with a CMS called exponent.  It's PHP based, so the install
instructions just want me to untar it, and access it with my web server.  I'm
running apache 2 with vhosts, so I put it .bz2 file in the DocumentRoot of
the domain, and untar'ed.  I'm then supposed to run the setup script by
accessing it via a webserver at  http://www.mydomain.org/exponent-0.95.0/
I keep getting an
 Directory index forbidden by rule: /opt/web/mydomain/exponent-0.95.0/
in the apache logs and a 403 error on the browser.  File ownership is set to
wwwrun:www and the perms are ok.  I can reach a simple index.html file
in /opt/web/mydomain, so I think the vhosts are mostly ok. I'm probably
missing an apache config setting.  Any ideas on what to try?

DT