[olug] Call for Presentations

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Wed Jan 19 16:43:51 UTC 2005

I have some suggestions on topics for the meetings:

1. How to create a desktop that a new user can become familiar with and make
use
of GUI interfaces and applications. Also there might be some appilcations that
are out there that will make the work needed to be done easier and comfortable
for the new user. The goal is to achieve a look and feel without the smell of
the "other" common desktop.

2. In the character mode, a talk about shells and scripts would be good.
Including scripts, where they are stored and what they can do might be useful
for someone moving up in their comprehension of Linux could appeal to some
folk. Experienced users may have created scripts that perform useful tasks that
newer users may not have thought of or known about, could bring them or submit
them for demonstration in the presentation.

2a. Scripting languages some fundamentals about what they do, and the
advantages and disadvantages among the more commonly used. Examples of a simple
script in side by side comparison of two or three languages to show the
differences. (I would presume that these ultimately are some sort of subset of
C, and if someone can show that with these for the more progamming oriented
that could be revealing.)

3. There has been on ongoing discussion about problem areas on the mail list
(non-printing printers), but what about setting up new peripherials on an
existing intall of Linux. What kinds of basic issue might be involved and where
might drivers be found if you discover that there isn't one included in the
original installation disks. Two of the more frequently replaced items would be
printers and scanners. Unless the problem is diminished because of USB
connectivity these days.

4. In connection with the above a discussion about images, especially those of
personal/family digital images: regarding collection (through cameras or
scanning), storage in a Linux based system, and distribution to others in a
format or formats compatible across platforms and OSs.

Now some are for the entry and an attempt to get the general public interest as
well. The image stuff  and the desktop issues might do that, while the others
are aimed at a slightly higher level for those who have had Linux on a machine
and in use for a while and would like insight into new areas for interest.

Tom Williamson