[olug] rrdtool rulez

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Fri Jan 14 19:52:07 UTC 2005

Wow. rrdtool is cooler than I thought. I've been messing with it for a
week and now I have 25 different things I'm monitoring by minute, week,
year, and biannually (approx.).

I was introduced to RRD via MRTG and Big Brother, but I didn't realize
how cool and customizable it was for your own arbitrary stuff.

    http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/

Using a Perl library to talk to RRD makes things even quicker to set up:

    http://search.cpan.org/~mschilli/RRDTool-OO-0.11/lib/RRDTool/OO.pm
    (Thanks Mike!!)

I wrote a little (Perl) CGI wrapper around it and now I can RRD, graph,
and trend any new datapoint I want in about 10 minutes.

I also didn't realize how sweet the RRD built-in graphing stuff is. Mix
and match (stack, multi-line, whatever) all your different RRD
datasets. Run calculations, summaries, whatever. Graphs pop out
instantly in gobs of different styles, formats, etc. Don't like the
look? Tweak the config and the graph changes -- the data is completely
stand-alone.

Much quicker than GD::Graph'ing stuff myself!! -grin-