[olug] Distribution download

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 04:58:46 UTC 2005

Just a thought, if a 'customer' at the installfest is hesitant about
having their hdd wiped, consider installing QEMU.org's x86 emulation
on their windows box.  They still want windows to run word, install
QEMU on top of linux. QEMU is an open source virtual machine project
that runs on linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.  With it, windows can run
on top of linux and linux can run on top of windows.  The upside is
that it is open source.  The downsides (just for now) are that it is
not as user friendly as VMWare nor is it nearly as fast when windows
is underneath.

Another cross platform Virtual Machine or Emulator is BOCHs.

The authors of XEN say it runs fastest because it's layer is not as
thick and it actually involves a rewrite of the OS.  As such, it is
not easy nor does not run on windows, but windows can run on it.