[olug] Distribution download

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Mon Jan 10 14:30:26 UTC 2005

Quoting Michael Peterson Wireless <mikejack at stratomail.com>:

>  Has anyone other than I had problems downloading Fedora Core 3 and then
> installing from CD?
> If the install CD is a CDRW it works, if it is a CD Read Only it does not.
> The original Fedora Core 3 iso's have an error in the test sum on boot that
> you have to disable DMA even to check the CD's burned on the original writer
> device.
> I have had successful installs via network install method.

I burned FC3 at work on Friday and took it home over the weekend to install on
some ancient hardware. I could boot from the first disk just fine, but the
install always failed complaining about cpio bad header data or something to
that effect.

I unplugged that CDROM drive, making my CD Writeable drive the boot device and
the install worked just fine. Go figure.

What gets me is that this box, an AMD K6-2 500Mhz CPU running on a FIC PA 2013
motherboard with 512MB RAM keeps having kernel panics. Something in the 2.6
kernel series is not getting along well with my hardware. I've tried acpi=off
as a boot param thinking that would fix it, but no dice.

This same hardware has been running RHELAS 3 with the 2.4.x kernels with no
problems, save the usual problems with the halt instruction set that is not
handled well by this processor, but the no-hlt parameter corrects that issue.

Ah well, it's probably time to upgrade my hardware. It's only been six years.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com