[olug] Opinions of MSCIS program at Bellevue

Jaymz Ringler jringler at unitedtransport.net
Tue Feb 22 17:25:58 UTC 2005

I have seen the same thing here in Lincoln.

There were a select few of us that excelled in our IT coursework and the
rest of the class just slid by doing the bare minimum.  A few of these
guys are friends of mine, and it was hard to tell them that I wouldn't
hire them.  I spent 8 hours a day full time as a net admin, then 4 hours
in class and usually a couple more hours at night after class.

They think that they will learn everything they need to know in class
and don't do any learning or discovery outside of class.

I've talked to many CSE majors from UNL and have been asked questions
such as...   "my room mate and I want to put both computers on
roadrunner, what kind of equipment do I need ?"     no joke..  I
couldn't believe it.

So, I don't think it's just a problem at BU.   I think the problem lies
within the laziness of people these days.  It's like the old  "Paper
MCSE".

The sad part is I know of a few individuals that possess a very high
level of knowledge but are without a degree...   If they come up against
one of these people with the Bachelors but no knowledge or experience,
the bachelors wins, but then job performance prevails and they are fired
shortly after.