[olug] Municipal Broadband controls?

Wes Ferrel wferrel at ferrel.org
Tue Feb 22 17:09:59 UTC 2005

I just read this article which was recently presented on slashdot:
http://www.freepress.net/communityinternet/=munibroad

I noticed Nebraska was one of the states listed as having pending
legislation that could potentially curtail the ability of communities to
offer their own, competing Broadband services.

I've only briefly reviewed the bill proposed, and I definitely don't
claim to be a lawyer.  The article, however, portrays the over-all
situation to be one of "Big-Business" trying to avoid having to compete
with the communities that want to provide services for themselves.

Thought this might be something of interest to folks on this mailing list.

       Wes