[olug] VOIP Provider info.

Bill Brush bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Feb 9 21:30:39 UTC 2005

This is the crux of my problem.  Most national VOIP providers direct 911
calls to the PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point) that is the closest to
the address they have on file for you.  It does not (necessarily) go to
your local 911 dispatch center.  Whomever calls 911 and talks to the PSAP
has to be able to tell the operator where you are.   Time Warner's 911 goes
to the local 911 dispatch center and my address comes up on the screen with
the call.

Since my kids are 2 and 4 I want them able to contact the emergency number
without having to know anything other than someone needs help.  Once
they're older I'll probably move to a cheaper service.  Maybe if Nebraska
gets enhanced 911 for cell phones I can use that instead, but for now this
is the safest option.

Bill

olug-bounces at olug.org wrote on 02/09/2005 10:06:51 AM:

> That still wont help if the caller (kids) don't know their
address....cell
> phone providers have the same problem as the VoIP providers when it comes
> 911 service,  yes they are required to provide sedrvice but not required
> have an address on file.

<snip>