[olug] OT: "Securing" a WinXP Home Edition Machine

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Sat Feb 5 14:32:51 UTC 2005

Based on what I has come through my store for repair, on a clean install
or a cleanup, I typically.

start->run->msconfig (turn off startup items that are not needed)
Windows update->Windows update->windows update
Install: AVG Anti-virus http://www.grisoft.com
         Spybot Search & Destroy->update->immunize->scan
         cwshredder
         set an administrator(startup in safe mode) & user passwords
         FireFox(tell them not to use IE unless they have to)