[olug] OT: "Securing" a WinXP Home Edition Machine

OBrien, Timothy IrishMASMS at olug.org
Sat Feb 5 02:03:20 UTC 2005

<quote who="Robert A. Jacobs">
> Gang,
>
> 	Despite my best efforts to talk some great friends into purchasing a
> Mac, they purchased a Dell machine with WinXP Home Edition; thankfully,
> I managed to convince them *not* to hook up to the Internet until I had
> a chance to prep their machine. So...now I need some security assistance
> from all of you WinXP users since I have absolutely zero experience
> working with WinXP (Debian at home; Win2K at work).
>
> 	I intend to set them up with FireFox (web-browser) and Thunderbird
> (email) to immediately eliminate the IE/Outlook virus injection system.
> What I need to know is what I should be looking at with regards to
> patches (auto-updates), recommended spyware/adware programs, etc.
>
> 	Any help is greatly appreciated.  I thought I was going to have more
> time to get this information but I just found out that they got their
> system today.  They are a very good friends and use this machine for
> business so I intend to help them out this weekend.

Hey raj, how about some information from the experts?

CERT® Coordination Center - Home Network Security
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html

Home Computer Security
http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/

HTH!

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien

A: No.
Q: Should I include e-mail quotations after my reply?