[olug] Recommendations

Kent Tegels ktegels at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 18:38:25 UTC 2005

Even if everything was "shipped perfect" developers would still have
jobs, IMHO, since they are the folks best suited to making perfect
better. Open Source or not, it sucks when you have to lose
producttivity to issues like this. It still happens too much.

Has about in the group got experience installing a distro on the Acer
Travelmate C100 that would be willing to help this complete noobe do
it? Don't need the pen-tablet features so much, but I'd love a box to
start learning Java (again) on.

Thanks!
Kent

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:20:51 -0800 (PST), Sean Edwards
<cybersean3000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> That question is rhetorical, and we all know the
> answers:
>
> By distributing their software and firmware through
> the M$ channel, they maintain control over the
> features and functions of the device and drivers.
> Control is maintained by obfuscating intellectual
> property into binaries.  And, some perceive free
> software to be like "free beer" rather than "free to
> use."  It is an ancient thinking (in computer terms),
> about 25 years old, that was brought about by Bill
> (Dr. Evil) Gates.
>
> They could embrace an Open Source program to improve
> and enhance their products, like Netscape/Mozilla and
> Sun. But then, as long as there is "something to fix",
> developers will always have jobs.
>
> -=Sean Edwards=-
>
> --- Daniel Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
>
> >  Why can't manufacturers play nice?