[olug] Re: SATA vs SCSI

jdh at gotopeak.net jdh at gotopeak.net
Sun Dec 18 20:57:28 UTC 2005

here are 2 articles from Infoworld that i found. i have read alot(!) of stuff from these guys on the topic. i am still a noob but i think SCSI still wins out in reliability as well. i do think somewhere i read that SAS and SATA drives can be mixed in an array. this means someone like me can get several SATA drives on a huge server and then upgrade slowly over time to SAS. plus SAS HDD will be 2.5 inch some time on the near future. we all now what that means. more drives in less space. datacenters will love this.

Looking ahead to serial SCSI
http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/07/18/28TCsatasb_1.html

The new SCSI: better, faster, smaller
http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/05/16/20FEsas_2.html

i also put in some time at DIT a long time ago. these guys deal with everage joe guy that still runs win98 or gamers. they know little to nothing about enterprise hardware/software. i knew little to nothing about gaming and win98 systems so it made for interesting conversations about what was good and what was not.

Josh Haggin