[olug] Sempron or Athlon?

Neal Rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Sun Dec 18 18:24:49 UTC 2005

  My trusty Athlon 850 finally gave out about a week ago and I replaced
it with a Sempron 2600. I installed the amd64 version of FreeBSD 6.0 and
this thing is an absolute rocket compared to anything else I've ever
owned. I've gotten over the 'hating change' part of the operation and
I'm starting to like how quickly things scroll by while this machine is
compiling.

  I'm considering replacing my Athlon 2000 desktop with a 64 bit system,
but I don't know if I'm going to do a Sempron or an Athlon. Can anyone
comment on the performance difference between the two processor types?