[olug] SATA vs SCSI

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sun Dec 18 04:28:58 UTC 2005

The fact that SAS/SATA II can do 300MB/sec per port is a curiosity at best.

With the exception of some solid-state stuff, a drive that can push that
much data flat out does not exist.

The reason why each port can do 300MB/sec is so that you can have enough
 bandwidth to run as many as 8 SAS/SATA drives off a single port using
an expansion chassis (web site broken at the moment):

http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/mobilerack/CSE-M28E1.cfm

That particular chassis will let you connect 8 2.5" SATA drives up to a
single port.  That means you can have up to *32* drives connected to one
of these hardware RAID cards:

http://www.lsil.com/products/megaraid/sata_300_8x.html

BTW no one has seriously used HVD SCSI in 5+ years - the best place to
find that sort of thing is eBay.  If you were actually looking for LVD
SCSI, the best place to find it would be newegg.com.

PS The only place I need SATA in the datacenter is where huge amounts of
cheap storage is more important than fast storage.  To say that
"everyone" is getting out of SCSI just shows how inexperienced they are
and how infrequently they step inside a data center.

PPS 10k RPM SATA drives do exist (Western Digital Raptor), but they
still don't support NCQ.  While they whoop the pants off any SATA drive
that lacks NCQ they can't hold a candle to SCSI.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us