[olug] SATA vs SCSI

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 23:01:19 UTC 2005

... while waiting for two nodes to sync ...

... looking at the storage review site, SATA is still getting it's ass
kicked by SCSI.  So... if ya need the speed, SCSI / SAS is still the way to
go.

But, with NCQ and stuff, SATA is definately closing the gap with SCSI.  The
bus isn't going to be the problem, it'll be the hardware inside the drives
(as usual...).

Given a controller at around $50

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102042&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=16-102-042

And four 160gb drives at $75 eachish...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145091&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=22-145-091

Gives ya close to half a terrabyte with a parity drive of RAID5... give or
take proper engrish... for $350.

-Will