[olug] xfce and the other guys

Robert Alan Jacobs r.a.jacobs at cox.net
Thu Dec 15 04:47:11 UTC 2005

Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:
> Will Langford wrote:
>
>> XFCE is just a window manager... there's not a huge abstraction layer for
>> everything to be integrated like there is with KDE/GNOME.
>>
>> If you want less bloat, don't mind rolling your own desktop, and doing
>> things a bit different from application to application, then
>> XFCE/WindowMaker/Enlightenment/Afterstep is for you.
>

> No, XFce is a full DE.  I took the plunge last night, and worked with it
> awhile.  So far, I like it better than Gnome, but I don't have much to
> base that on right now.

I was about to side with Will on this one and call you on it, Tim.  I've
*always* known XFCE to be a window manager, not a DE.  According to
their site [1], however, they *are* a DE.

Now, that might be marketing speak but I will say that XFCE looks a lot
more advanced than I remember it.  Anyone else, want to chime in?

Personally, I use Gnome. I haven't tried KDE in forever but, at the time
I was making the choice between KDE and Gnome, KDE looked too much like
Windows 95. I've become accustomed to Gnome and don't see any reason to
switch to KDE.

[1] http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=overview&lang=en

-raj