[olug] xfce and the other guys

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Thu Dec 15 01:44:54 UTC 2005

Dave Thacker wrote:
> In your opinion, what are the features that set a "Desktop Environment" apart
> from a "Window Manager"?

The little, subtle things that make a desktop feel like a single
coordinated cohesive experience.  Like copy-and-paste that works the
same across all apps, for instance.  A window manager alone lets you do
basic operations in a GUI/WIMP setting, because it is window-centric:
manage the windows and you're 90% of the way there.  It's the other 10%
that's hard.

This partly explains why the Linux desktop has not taken over the world,
I think.  It has, in a large way, suffered from the unix "small tools"
mindset.  Use this WM, this taskbar, this widget, that doohickey, etc
etc, and HEY I can do all the things I'd expect to do at a workstation.
  But most users want a single consistent user experience, not the
overhead of learning five different ways of doing what is essentially
the same thing just because they're in different parts of the desktop.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea
christtrek.org