[olug] Computer Woes....

Joe Gulizia jrguliz at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 14 22:06:10 UTC 2005

My machine locks up....
replaced the power supply, switched ribbon cables and
hard drives,  when I ran "Memory" under "Utilities" in
SUSE 9.3 Professional the machine locked up and I
couldn't even get the monitor to show a display
(yellow light like the machine wasn't on as opposed to
green light when on)....

When the machine freezes pressing the "Num Lock" key
has no effect at all.

I think the problem is narrowed down to RAM or
CPU/Motherboard issues.

On startup machine only recognizes 512 Meg out of 1.25
Gig of RAM....

If I take out RAM sticks in what order should I do
things?

Take out what and then add what back in?

E. G.
Take Out
One 512 and 256   then add 512 then 256?

It was suggested that I try "MemTest"?  I couldn't
find that exactly to tell me if I'm running a correct
memory test either.

I haven't tried changing runLevels and I'm not sure
how to do that either.

Thanks.