[olug] SATA? Do I want this?

Neal Rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Fri Dec 9 21:42:30 UTC 2005

 What's this SATA stuff? My trusty Athlon 850 finally cooked off this
week after years of abuse and a Sempron 2600+ was the cheapest thing
Futureware had. I hate change and I'm getting a big dose of it today -
new mainboard, it requires this newfangled DDR memory, and perhaps worst
of all I have time to write this because I'm downloading FreeBSD 6.0 for
the AMD64 architecture.

 I hate change. If I have to change, I want to get it all done at once.
I found this thing called a "SATA cable" in the box with the mainboard.
Is there a compelling reason to go to a SATA drive on this machine? I
mean *compelling* - I put a Pentium 133 in for temporary duty and I
seriously debated doing package building in a vmware machine and just
leaving that box in that role. If it were a 233 that might very well
happen. So a compelling reason would be cheaper, more portable, etc.

  Grrr. I'll be here, dealing with change, if anyone has words of wisdom
on this topic.