[olug] Boot external USB drive?

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 19:12:28 UTC 2005

> My Compaq Presario R3000 is really nice, but it doesn't support booting
> from USB devices (anyone know of unofficial BIOS patches to fix
> this?)
>
> I know I can install a copy of Linux to an external HDD (/dev/sda), but
> how can I setup Syslinux/Grub to "chain load" to the boot sector
> of the USB drive?

This is not as clean as you would probably like because I can't help
you with GRUB.

But _IF_ SysRescCD.org allows you to choose to boot from an external
USB drive as mentioned in a recent post, then installing SysRescCD.org
to your harddrive would be a workaround.

Here are directions for installing to a harddrive:
http://www.kumanov.com/OS/software/systemrescuecd/node48.html