[olug] Strange Samba File And Folder Icons

Joe Catanzaro joecatanzaro at cox.net
Fri Dec 2 15:14:00 UTC 2005

The other night the lights on my hub started flashing like crazy.
After having done some research, it turns out smbd on my Fedora Core
3 box running Samba 3.0.10-1.fc3 was doing something to a drive
mapped on my XP SP2 box. When it finished, a large portion of the
file and folder icons in the mapped drive had a double arrow added to
the bottom of their file or folder icon. Like
this:
http://members.cox.net/joecatanzaro/samba_arrow_folder_icon.jpg
Does anyone know what this means or what Samba is doing? I've gone
through the logs and surprisingly they don't tell me much.

Thanks,

Joe Catanzaro
joecatanzaro at cox.net