[olug] East Penguin Lunch Vote NOW

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Aug 26 22:08:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, August 26, 2005 16:15, OBrien, Timothy wrote:

> <quote who="Tim & Alethea Larson">

> [sniped]

>> I recommend ranked (Condorcet) voting like last time.  Just
because a

>> couple people happen to agree on one place doesn't mean it should
be

>> chosen if all the rest who can't agree all really hate that
place.

>> Simple pluralities stink.

> Does not Mombo have a voting module? set up a vote, with mandatory
logging

> into the site for one vote each to prevent the fiasco.

I think what Mr. Larson was referring to was the fact that if 10 people
voted, and the outcome was like this:

Count:SiteName

3:SiteA

2:SiteB

2:SiteC

1:SiteD

1:SiteE

1:SiteF

Then it means that 3/10 of the voters "won" and decided for the
other 7/10.

I believe that Condorcet allows each voter to rank their favorites from 1
to 3, so even if everyone chose a different "first" choice (a
tie and a revote in simple elections), but a number of people agreed on
their second choice, then that one would win.  (I'd like to come up
with another example as above, but I can't think of a simple enough one
right now.)

(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method for a deeper
explaination.)

Dan

- - - - -

"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles

"I do not fear computer, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac
Asimov

GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68