[olug] Level3 and fax modems over VOIP

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 00:54:06 UTC 2005

You may be aware that faxing or using a modem over a VOIP line
generally does not work, and if it does, it probably does not work
well.  Even Vonage does not work well.  I discussed this with
LightYear.net, ( a VOIP provider that provides Omaha telephone #s )
and they said the hardware they sell and the SIP protocol used both
are capable of faxing over VOIP, but that their provider Level3 does
not support it.

Can anybody confirm that this really is a problem with Level3?  If you
got faxing & modem communications to work, did you have to pay extra?
Anybody know if Vonage uses LVLT.net?

p.s. I used iConnectHere.com because it was $8.95/month and after
several months could pretty much get single page faxes to work and
much later multiple page faxes, but it was not all that reliable.  I
decided it was worth the trouble.

p.s.s. I am a stockholder and needless to say i was very disappointed
that lvlt.net and level3.com were down some today!