[olug] Creating *-devel rpms for SuSE w/checkinstall

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 04:09:28 UTC 2004

So I'm trying to update GTK2 and friends for my SuSE 9.1 distro. Compiling gtk2
with --enable-shared and installing with 'checkinstall' (does a 'make install'
and creates/installs an RPM of all that's getting installed) works fine.

However, since I removed the prior gtk2 and gtk2-devel, YAST now complains that
gtk2-devel isn't installed and proceeds to install it even though
--enable-shared essentially installs all the header files that are included in
gtk2-devel.  Of course, that screws everything up since SuSE's precompiled
gtk2-devel that is forcibly reinstalling is for an older version of gtk2.

So does anyone know exactly how to create the *-devel rpm package?  And can I
do it with 'checkinstall'?

Or am I going about this completely wrong?  I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Eric Pierce