Reiser (was Re: [olug] UPS)

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Fri Sep 24 18:54:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, September 23, 2004 6:25 pm, Phil Brutsche said:
> Dude, your clock is like 6 hours off!

Thanks... probably something else caused by the crash.  Have to get ntp up
and running on this box, I guess.

> William E. Kempf wrote:
>
>> Well, I'm running the latest ReiserFS available on Gentoo.
>
> You should be relatively safe.  Any halfway decent MDA will use fsync()
> on the files in your Maildirs to guarantee that your email is flushed to
> the drive(s), and I seriously doubt your Portage tree is worth the
> trouble to save if it's corrupted.

Nope... I just deleted the portage tree and resynced.  No issue there.

>> I didn't know that ReiserFS had issues like this. What FS would the
>> OLUG crowd recommend? This machine is used a lot for software
>> development, but the most FS entensive use is e-mail (for which
>> there's a lot of traffic), using Maildir format.
>
> It depends on whether speed, or data safety, is a concern.  ext3 with
> the default of ordered data writes is one of the safest, but is far the
> fastest.

I assume you meant "is far from the fastest"?

> XFS, JFS, and until recently Reiser3 (ReiserFS v3, as opposed to the
> recently released v4, which is a whole other ballbark) all journal only
> the metadata, with varying levels of data safety.

Hmm... seems Gentoo has Reiser4 available.  Is this stable and considered
an improvement over ReiserFS?  IOW, would that be a switch I should
investigate at this time?

> In recent 2.6 (>= 2.6.6) kernels ordered writes have been implemented in
> Reiser3 and are turned on by default.

I'm running 2.6.7, so if I'm reading you right, there's no integrity
issues for me?

--
William E. Kempf
wekempf at cox.net