[olug] Local Co-Location Providers

Ben Dinger ben at mac-geek.com
Thu Sep 23 22:33:37 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 05:07:42PM -0500, Darren Alexander wrote:
> I've talked pretty extensively with IPRev.  They quoted me $2050 a
> month for a 2-5mb tier and 1U of rackspace.  If I sustain greater than
> 5mb for over 24 hours the put me in a higher tier and charge me
> accordingly.  Their setup fee with a 1 year contract is $900.  Perhaps I
> am naive about bandwidth expenses, but this seems quite pricey to me.
> Is this a reasonable sum to pay for that tier of service?

It depends on how they are metering it out.  If it's 2-5mb on a 95th percentile-style billing, that's pretty standard.  That's also pretty heavy usage :).

For lower usage colo, espescially around here, unless you are looking at First Data you can ballpark around $100-250/mo and be right on.  I didn't even mention first data/first tech for that specific reason, they have a wonderful data center - but whoa for pricing :).

--
Ben Dinger
ben at mac-geek.com
"The Pope?  How many divisions has he got?" --Josef Stalin